Looking for cozy window seat ideas? Here are the cutest (and super affordable) pillow covers I just discovered.
We have a window seat on the landing at our home and here’s how we transformed it with a few budget decorating options. Decorating doesn’t have to be expensive to look high-end.
I found these pictures from when we first bought the house back. It looks so different now that I had totally forgotten it used to look like this.
I forgot about what the window seat used to look like without the roman shades.
I forgot that the walls used to be white.
And I forgot all about those cushions.
When I was younger I sat on these cushions in this window seat with books and snow cones and hopes and dreams…
…and watched the seasons pass.
Summer would roll by with its fluffy white clouds and blue skies and lazy afternoons.
Fall tiptoed in with its crisp afternoons and tumbling leaves and pumpkin spice smells.
Winter blew past the windows in a brilliant blast of cold air and gray skies.
Spring arrived with tiny flowers and chirping birds and green grass that smelled like a picnic was just around the corner.
I saw it all.
All from my view out the window.
Before I get to how we transformed this window seat nook on the landing?
Let’s talk through a few things to consider for this space.
Here are a few of my favorite window seat decorating ideas:
- Fluff it up: Add a little cozy to the space by adding some fluffy cushions. Mix and match different textures and colors to give your space some personality. Show a little of your personality with some quirky throw pillows with pom poms and tassels.
- Storage: Don’t let your window seat go to waste. Incorporate some extra storage solutions by adding drawers or shelves underneath. Now you can keep all your linens and extra bedding in one place. I have all mine organized into tubs inside our window seat. I access mine with lift up tops.
- Curtain and roman shades: Want to add a little extra to your window seat? Hang up some curtains or drapes. I made no sew roman shades for this space. You can see how I made them here.
- Add a side table: Need a spot to set your snacks and electronics while you enjoy the view? Add a table or tray to your window seat.
- Plant Party: Bring some life to your window seat with some indoor greenery. Pick out some low-maintenance plants that love natural light, like a chill succulent or a laid-back spider plant. We have a hook at the top of our window seat that I can hang hanging plants from.
Here’s where we started with our window seat decor makeover. These were the exact cushions I sat on when I read every Nancy Drew book I could check out from the library.
They didn’t always look like this—kind of flat like cushion pancakes. They were fuller and plumper and cushionier.
But over the years, somewhere along the way they shrunk.
Maybe it was all the sitting. And dreaming. And hoping. And Nancy Drew reading that made them flat like this.
It wasn’t their fault. Really. They couldn’t help it. There was a lot of cushion throwing and sitting and drinking a drink that spilled or accidentally rips with a notebook.
And then there was the whole flipping-them-over-thing in the hope your mother would never notice.
When we first bought the house back from the family my mother sold it to and I walked up these stairs—it was incredible. I walked up the first flight and paused and looked out this window. I couldn’t believe it.
It was as if time had never passed.
Like I was about to run downstairs for breakfast.
Like I forgot my backpack in my room.
Like my friends were about to show up in the driveway and honk.
I wanted to honor it all.
All the seasons.
All the sitting on that window bench.
All the dreaming and life-living and hoping and planning and cushion throwing.
So now after living in the house for a couple of years?
Cozy Window Seat Ideas
This window seat landing looks like this.
We painted the walls Sandbar SW 7547.
We added the new runner that wraps all the way up the stairs with the cutest stair rods.
And I had new cushions made for the window bench decor. Those other cushions had lived a life other cushions only dream of, but it was time for a change.
I just found these 20″ x 20″ pillow covers online at Walmart.
They are SO BEAUTIFUL. Can you see the detail on them? They are raised quatrefoils with woven cotton that creates the prettiest dimension on the pillow cover. They come in this cream and oatmeal color combination and two other colors, too.
And the best part?
They are 22 x 22 (and SO AFFORDABLE for the size). It’s such a great size to make a pillow statement and perfect for a window seat or bench or even Euro shams on a bed. They have a zipper closure on the bottom.
Here’s a close-up of the window seat from yesterday. It’s like time stood still (except it got a little better).
The cushions are new again. I had them remade from drop cloths and stuffed new thick, cushiony, fluffy foam.
And now once again….
….the window seat is ready.
Ready for cozy pillows and sweet tea and dancing sunlight and lazy afternoons.
Ready for a new chapter.
I’ve got the books lined up. 🙂
disclosure: affiliate links are used in this post.