I’m so excited to be joining my sweet friend Bre in celebrating the launch of her new book, The Gift of Home.
It’s all about finding joy and contentment in every corner of your home and seeing the beauty in the everyday and learning to fall in love with your home again.
If you are stopping by for a visit from The Inspired Room, welcome. My blue and white living room are so happy that you are here.
Bre reached out to a group of bloggers with a challenge—to share what we love about our home.
For me, learning to love my home is a journey sometimes.
Just between us do the rooms in your house ever get on your nerves?
Just a little?
Once a week at least?
Come sit by me.
Last week I was generally fussy with my house. It was so messy after everyone left after the holidays. The house wouldn’t behave. It needed a haircut. It was extra sassy and needed its bangs trimmed. It was like me in 1997. Wearing highwaters and a poncho with dark roots that needed touching up.
I did something that COMPLETELY changed my perspective.
I pressed pause and stepped outside myself.
And my house.
I went outside the front door and rang my front doorbell and waited for someone to answer and then I walked inside.
Like I was a visitor.
Like I was just stopping by for sweet tea and conversation.
Like I had never met the house before.
And when I walked inside, I looked at the house with new eyes.
I looked at all the blue and white in the living room and the navy color in the dining room and the rug that I adore and molding that has been there since I learned the multiplication tables and the blue and white striped chairs in the dining room and the flowers on the table and the blue and white pillows on the couch and the patterned bench that I found at a yard sale and the brass accessories and the cutest little marble side tables.
I looked at all that.
And ignored all the stuff that needs to be fixed.
I ignored the things that me and my high-watered, poncho-wearing, need-a-highlight self usually focuses on.
I ignored the negative.
Like it wasn’t even there.
And when I did that?
Something AMAZING happened.
Something I didn’t expect.
Something that made me laugh out loud.
Right then and there in the middle of my blue and white living room and my blue and white dining room, I fell in love with my house all over again.
It was like the first time I saw my future husband across the room with his brown hair and his smile and his twinkling brown eyes and his Members Only jacket.
My heart beat faster.
And it was love at first sight.
So today, I want you to try it.
I want you to go outside your front door and ring your doorbell and step inside your house like you’ve never met it before.
(BTW, I can literally feel you rolling your eyes at this moment).
I want you to walk inside and focus on what made you fall in love with your home.
That cute chair that you found by the side of the road.
I know it’s silly.
I get it.
Just try it and see what happens.
Here are 25 simple, easy ideas to start loving your home today
(and most of them are free or almost free)
1. Add a grouping of vases to your dining table and fill them with leaves from the yard.
2. Switch out the pillows from one room to another.
3. Cover your books in craft paper.
5. Open your curtains every morning and let the sunlight in.
6. Toss a throw over the back of a chair
7. Cover the buttons on the back of your dining room chairs like this.
8. Update an armchair in minutes with this simple tip.
9. Repaint a piece of furniture in your room in a happy color.
10. Place a tray on the center of your coffee table and add flowers and accessories.
11. Change out the lightbulbs in your room with soft white to make them cozier in winter.
12. Rearrange your furniture with a new perspective.
13. Add a baskets full of games or puzzles your living room.
14. Stack books next to a chair for an easy side table.
15. Fix the sagging couch cushions on your couch for summer with this simple tip.
16. Add a wreath to the front of your hutch.
17. Create simple no-sew drop cloth curtains like these.
18. Add pillows to your dining room chairs.
19. Spray your countertops with lavender spray.
20. Paint the back of your bookcase with a contrasting color like this.
21. Make no sew roman shades like these.
22. Shop your refrigerator and place a bowl of lemons on your kitchen counter.
23. Fold the towels in your bathroom and this cute way and place them on a stool.
24. Put together your favorite playlist and PLAY IT.
25. And lastly? Step outside your front door. Ring your doorbell. Meet your house again for the first time…
….and fall in love. 🙂
Be sure and stop by Claire Lynn At Home’s blog for even more ways to fall in love with your home.
You can read more about Bre’s new book, The Gift of Home here.
It’s all about breaking free from your decorating disillusionment and looking at your home from a new perspective. Bre has tons of ideas and inspiration to help you overcome the obstacles that keep you from trying new ideas, and be happy in the here and now as you transform your spaces into places filled with warmth, joy, and love. That way you can see your home the way it was intended—as a gift and a space to celebrate this amazing journey we call life.
She’s also giving away a book to one lucky reader. Simply click on the rafflecopter below to enter.