Last year was all about the befores….
…and the afters.
I decorated one room three different ways.
I decorated a gatehouse.
Totally worth it.
And each time…..I would finish the project and post it on the blog with a before picture taken in terrible light with a bunch of nonsense sitting around and then post a sparkly, shiny after picture with everything in its place.
But now….I’m thinking…..
……befores and afters are so 2013.
I mean….aren’t there times when you want to know how it was done and what I was thinking…..and sometimes what was I thinking?
So welcome to 2014…..
……the year of the “durings”.
Welcome to one of the upstairs bedrooms of the farmhouse.
A room that has never been seen on the light of day on the blog before…..
…..with good reason.
Here’s the before…..before.
This was taken on the day we started the construction on the downstairs.
Here’s another view with the beautiful ship wallpaper border.
At least I think it was ship wallpaper border.
It didn’t really last long enough to really be remembered.
Ditto for the matching blue shag carpet.
Here’s the same room after I painted the walls.
The color is Macadamia. The carpet is Home Depo special. The weight bench is 2011 garage sale.
I had big plans….and then I just could not wrap my head around that color.
It never seemed to fit and the carpet was not a good choice for dogs and teenage boys with extra stinky socks.
So we pulled up the carpet and painted the wood floors and then painted the walls white……
….and now here’s the room from the same angle.
A little rough right now.
This is a perfect example of a during.
We are just getting started.
Here’s some of the plans for the finished room.
1. I ordered the wall map from here.
2. We are installing an industrial cage light for the ceiling.
3. I think I’m going with an aluminum accent table beside the bed. I have to get the chair in the corner first to see how much space I have….but this is kind of what I’m thinking.
I wanted to show you this before of the before again….because the wall with the lace curtain on it is where we built the closets.
The house was built before closets.
Back when everyone had an armoire.
So this room had four walls without a closet…..
This is the exact same angle of the room with the two closets built-in.
4. The doors need hardware. I’m thinking industrial shape that’s nickel plated…..something like this.
Then we won’t need a random rock to hold the door closed.
5. The doors need to be painted a light gray.
6. I’m painting a sign over the bookcase with the first 72 digits of Pi.
Here’s the front view of the wall with the built-in closets.
7. I’m making a simple painted canvas valance for the windows.
8. This desk came from the junktique store and I’m painting it white and adding new hardware.
9. I’m having a chair and ottoman upholstered (that I bought at auction for $40) and it will be tucked back in this corner.
10. The bulletin boards are from Wal-Mart and I taped off the number signs and spray painted them.
11. I’m painting a periodic table sign over the bookcases.
12. The bed will have finials on the four posts and a white duvet cover on the bed with gray bedding and I’m ordering this rug from Ballard Designs for the floor.
At least I think this is all what I’m doing.
I’m pretty sure.
Stay tuned…..because this is the year of “durings”…..
…..and it’s only January. 🙂
PS In the interest of full disclosure….I work for Lamps Plus and they provided me with the light for the room…..but I totally, totally love it. 🙂