Some people can go on vacation and stick their toes in the sand and watch the seagulls fly by with the ocean breezes in their hair and think of nothing but world peace and what they are wearing to dinner.
Just in case you were wondering?
I am not some people.
My brain is always project spinning.
Even on vacation.
So it was when I walked into this room at my mother’s house up on Cape Cod. This is the room I have stayed in my whole life. When I was little I used to sleep on bunk beds in here and read Nancy Drew books. When I was a new mom, my kids would stay in here in a pack-n-play. I’ve spent more vacations in this room than all the seasons of Downton Abbey combined.
And this year?
We transformed this space.
This is the before.
This is where we started.
I can’t WAIT for you to see it.
Let’s start with better before pictures.
I tried to take 360-degree photos of the room so you could get an idea of how small it is.
Here are a few pertinent facts about the space:
- It’s super tiny.
- You can basically fit a queen bed and a dresser in the alcove and some side tables and that’s it.
- There’s a closet on the one wall by the dresser alcove.
- There are painted plywood floors under the striped area rug.
- There’s not an overhead light, but there is a light over the dresser from 1960 that my grandmother added and I will love forever because of her.
- There are slate floors in the hallway, so the room needed to be a little more neutral to match.
- It faces the ocean and when you look out the window you can see the waves and hear them, too. So basically 1-6 are almost irrelevant. 🙂
That was a lot of information.
A lot of build up.
A lot of making you wait.
To see the space.
Here’s the before one more time.
And here (from the same angle) is the after.
I wish you were here with me right now so I could tell you with my voice how MUCH I LOVE IT.
But I only have these laptop keys and these words to try to explain.
It makes me so happy just to look at this picture and know this room will be waiting for me next year.
And here’s the before of the little alcove across from the bed.
And here’s the after.
Also–I bought everything for the room off of Amazon because I didn’t have a lot of time to source things. Everything for this room is linked on my Amazon shop here under the section “Beach House Decor.”
The most amazing thing about the space?
My husband built this wall and we painted it Naval SW 6244 from Sherwin-Williams.
To save space in the room, the headboard is built in now and bookcases are built on either side.
(Total aside: Kristin Hannah’s The Nightingale is right there at the top.)
We have an entire video on how we built the wall with the headboard and the bookcases coming this week.
It is SUCH a space saver.
If you look at the original before picture you can see we had a wall we built years ago, but it didn’t really have a purpose. Now? The wall is intentional and it adds so much to the space and helps a tiny room to live large.
Here are just a few more details about the room:
- We added the cleat hook rack on the side behind the door to hang towels and beach bags and beach essentials.
- The room is painted Naval SW 6244 from Sherwin-Williams.
- There are two bookcases on the sides of the bed (details in the video to come).
- You can find the starfish pillows here.
- We left the white curtains at the window (you can see similar curtains here) and took down the blue and white curtains.
- You can find the striped Euro shams here (the set of two was under $16) and the 24″ x 24″ inserts here.
- The navy and white hotel bedding is SO PRETTY and SO AFFORDABLE (under $40 for the entire set). You can see it here.
- I bought this down alternative insert (because we are at the beach) for the duvet cover and these sheets are AMAZING (over 250,000 reviews).
- The bed skirt is so cute and it’s pleated and affordable.
- And last but definitely not least is this rug. You can see it here. It’s so pretty and so soft and so durable. Perfect for a beach house or high-traffic area. It’s an 8′ x 10′ and fits the space perfectly.
- Everything is linked in my Amazon shop. You can see it all here and you also follow me over there for tons more home ideas like these.
One more time just because it makes me so happy.
Here’s the before.
AND HERE’S THE AFTER.
Little room I love you.
From the bottom of my heart.
I left a little piece of me there.
Just know I’ll be back to get it next year. 🙂
disclosure: affiliate links are used in this post.