Do the rooms in your house ever get on your nerves?
Just a little?
Once a week at least?
Come sit by me.
Last week I was generally fussy with my house. It wouldn’t behave. It needed a haircut. It was extra sassy and needed its bangs trimmed. It was like me in 1997. Wearing highwaters and a poncho with dark roots that needed touching up.
I did something that COMPLETELY changed my perspective.
I pressed pause and stepped outside myself.
And my house.
I went outside the front door and rang my front doorbell and waited for someone to answer and then I walked inside.
Like I was a visitor.
Like I was just stopping by for sweet tea and conversation.
Like I had never met the house before.
I looked at the blue and white and the color and the rug that I adore and the new chandelier I just put in and the blue and white striped chairs in the dining room and the flowers on the table and the blue and white pillows on the couch and the patterned bench that I found at a yard sale and the brass accessories and the cutest little marble side tables.
I looked at all that.
And ignored all the stuff that needs to be fixed.
I ignored the things that me and my high-watered, poncho-wearing, need-a-highlight self usually focuses on.
I ignored the negative.
Like it wasn’t even there.
Something AMAZING happened.
Something I didn’t expect.
Something that made me laugh out loud.
Right then and there in the middle of my blue and white living room and my blue and white dining room, I fell in love with my house all over again.
It was like the first time I saw my future husband across the room with his brown hair and his smile and his twinkling brown eyes and his Members Only jacket.
My heart beat faster.
And it was love at first sight.
I want you to go outside your front door and ring your doorbell and step inside your house like you’ve never met it before.
(BTW, I can literally feel you rolling your eyes at this moment).
I want you to walk inside and focus on what made you fall in love with your home.
That cute chair that you found by the side of the road.
I know it’s silly.
I get it.
Just try it and see what happens.
And to encourage you in your new house-loving journey?
Here are 25 simple, easy ideas to decorate your house for summer
(did you think I’d ever get to the list)?
1. Add a grouping of vases to your dining table.
2. Switch out the pillows from one room to another.
3. Add pebbles to the bottom of an over-sized planter to create an easy flower arrangement (that’s how I created the arrangement on the coffee table).
4. Cut greens from your yard and add them to a vase.
5. Open your windows every summer morning and let the sunlight in.
6. Add a row of mason jars with fresh flowers and greenery from your yard to your mantel.
7. Cover the buttons on the back of your dining room chairs like this.
8. Update an armchair for summer in minutes with this simple tip.
9. Repaint a piece of furniture in your room a bright summery color.
10. Place a tray on the center of your coffee table and add flowers and books and accessories.
11. Change out the lightbulbs in your room with soft white for summer.
12. Help your peonies open up with this simple tip.
13. Add a summer throw in your living room.
14. Stack books next to a chair for an easy side table.
15. Fix the sagging couch cushions on your couch for summer with this simple tip.
16. Add a wreath to the front of your hutch.
17. Create simple no-sew drop cloth curtains like these.
18. Add pillows to your dining room chairs.
19. Spray your countertops with lavender spray.
20. Paint the back of your bookcase with a summer color like this.
21. Add baskets to your side chair.
22. Shop your refrigerator and place a bowl of lemons on your kitchen counter.
23. Fold the towels in your bathroom and this cute way and place them on a stool.
24. Put together a summer playlist and PLAY IT.
25. And lastly? Step outside your front door. Ring your doorbell. Meet your house again for the first time.