There’s something about the beach that fills the soul.
Maybe it’s because when I stand in front of the ocean my troubles feel small.
Maybe it’s because when I hear the waves pound on the shore it puts everything in perspective.
Maybe it’s because high tide rolls in and low tide rolls out all without any help from me.
Whatever the reason.
Every room needs a little more summer vacation in its life.
If you are looking for fresh, easy decor ideas for summer?
I. Got. You.
Here are 17 beach decor ideas for any room.
1. Add a stripe to a table
Just in case you were wondering, beach style isn’t exactly nautical. Nautical is navy and military and anchors and reds and blues and stripes and Gilligan and his hat.
A little nautical can go a long way.
Like adding a stripe to a tabletop like this.
2. Add these beach decor ideas to any room
Hello summer camp I’m looking at you.
Here are just a few beach decor ideas that make this room work.
- soft blues and reds and nay
- striped anything (especially rugs)
- worn, chippy furniture or antiques
- crisp white linen
- vintage prints
- painted floors
3. Add beach decor ideas outside
Outdoor is another place to add beach decor ideas.
Painting furniture or adding coastal-style pieces brings the beach to the porch.
- adirondack chairs
- floral planters
- wood planters
4. Bring in natural elements
Coastal style is strawberries on a lazy afternoon and sunlight dancing across your toes on an outdoor porch and the smell of fresh flowers gathered from the garden and a glass of sweet tea waiting next to a wicker chair and a really good book.
Natural elements like these fill a house with life.
5. Beach decor is all about light
If you take nothing else away from this intense discussion on beach decor and all its style, remember this.
Bringing in a coastal feel is all about light. It’s all about opening up doors and letting the sunlight into your space.
Here are a few ways you can introduce light into your home:
- Add sheers to the window instead of heavy curtains
- Keep walls light and bright and airy
- Introduce white into the space with pops of darker colors
- Add a screen door to your front door to let the sounds of outside in
- Paint furniture light and airy colors
6. Add pallet wood letters
See the BEACH sign over the armoire?
Those letters are made from pallet wood.
You can DIY them yourself.
7. Add texture to your home with beach decor
When you think of coastal style, just think about the beach. The beach is full of wonderful, incredible, amazing texture. There’s the coarseness of the sand and the texture of the grasses and the rough edges of shells and the smooth finish of rock.
Here are a few ideas to introduce coastal texture into your home.
- Add texture with natural elements, like driftwood accessories or reclaimed wood pieces
- Fill bowls with collections, like shells or rocks or driftwood pieces
- Tuck a woven pouf or painted wood stool next to your chairs for a simple accessory with extra texture
8. Add a coastal paint color
One of the easiest ways to add a little coastal to a space is with paint. You can transform a room in a weekend with a new coat of paint in a soft, warm, inviting coastal paint color. When choosing a coastal paint color for your space, think of the elements outside and bring them into your walls.
Here are some of my favorite coastal paint colors and the elements that they bring in:
- SW Dover White (clouds)
- SW Rain (rainy days)
- SW Alabaster (afternoon skies)
- SW Watery (ocean)
- SW Lemongrass (sunshine)
- SW Topsail (wind)
9. Add a coastal feel with peel and stick wallpaper
If you have an accent wall or small niche?
Think about adding a little peel and stick wallpaper like this blue and white paper in a coastal print.
You can see it here.
10. slipcover furniture in bright colors
Coastal living is all about easy.
Add brightly colored slipcovers to your space that you can change out when you want to create a different look for the room.
Use wood and seagrass chairs that you can just change out the cushions on.
11. Bring in flowers
This coastal kitchen has white cabinets with white floors and white countertops.
This bunch of fresh flowers that I brought in from the yard add the perfect pop of color.
Hydrangeas are one of my favorite coastal flowers.
12. Add patterned coastal dishes
One of the easiest ways to bring in color to a space is to set a table full of color.
Layer in different patterned and colorful dishes with your basic white dishes on the dining room table.
Add place cards with names written on sanddollars and tied with jute twine.
13. Layer in pillows
Looking to add a pop of color to the room?
Pillows are inexpensive and come in indoor/outdoor fabrics that are perfect for the coastal room.
These starfish pillows are the perfect example.
14. Keep it simple
Don’t overthink the space.
If you are living in a coastal environment (or just creating one in your home) think easy. For example, this mantel is created with stacks of books and shells.
Then bring in the beach with an oversized starfish for texture.
15. Collections make adding accessories even easier
One of the easiest ways to add beach decor to the home is to start a collection.
It’s so much easier than you think.
- Shop thrift stores and yard sales for inexpensive furniture finds that can be painted
- Layer in indoor/outdoor rugs and pillows in the rooms
- Keep most of your larger furnishings and walls neutral
16. Add a seagrass rug
Seagrass rugs are the perfect coastal accessory.
It’s such an easy way to add texture to the floor.
If you want to know more about the pros and cons and my big opinion of seagrass rugs click here.
17. Transform a floor
Bring the sunshine in.
Paint wood floors lighter colors.
It’s the perfect way to celebrate summer.
There you go.
17 ways to add a little beach decor to any space.
It’s almost time for summer vacation.
I’m starting to decorate now. 🙂
PS Here are some of my favorite beach home decor finds:
- these lamps with seagrass shades
- this coral wall art
- this coastal doormat
- this woven mirror
- this shell artwork
- this driftwood bowl
- these lanterns
- this wave coral accent
- this coastal tic tac toe
disclosure: affiliates are used in this post.