I’m sure it’s spring home tour sharing day somewhere and today I wanted to take a walk through mine.
Except I wanted to do things a little differently (this is the part where you nod your head and tell me you are not surprised).
If you were to stop by for a tour, I tell you how happy I am that we are friends and I would get you some sweet tea (or water if you preferred) and I would take you through the rooms and give you the yard sale tour. You know, the one where I tell you where everything came from and how I made it or got it at a yard sale and what I would buy at a yard sale season if I only had $5.00 and that yard sale season is starting again and we should go some Saturday.
Let me get you a glass of tea.
Now let’s go.
Here’s the dining room decked out for spring:
1. The table was $10 at an auction. I repaired it and painted it white.
2. I bought the hutch at a yard sale. It was originally yellow with kind of swirled shelves and didn’t have doors.
3. The chairs on the end are from my mother’s house. I grew up eating every Sunday dinner with these chairs.
4. The chairs on the side came from an auction for $5 and they originally were broken with broken cane. I had them reupholstered.
5. The dishes all came from yard sales.
6. The bookcase in the background came from a junk store.
7. The books on the book case are from a thrift store. I cover them with craft paper and add labels to make them match a room.
No judging. I really like it when my books match.
8. The flowers are from the yard.
9. This toolbox from the dining room came from a junk store.
I took out the insides and use them for display in the laundry room.
10, The pieces on the wall in the hallway (just out of sight in the picture) came from the side of the road.
They don’t like to discuss their roots, now that they’re art.
11. The chair on the right in the front of the picture came from the curb.
I got it for free and re-upholstered it.
12. The table used to be a dining table and we made it into a coffee table.
13. The boxes on the wall used to be a crate from a yard sale and I made them into wall organizers.
14. The F A R M letters on the wall were made by my brother.
15. The chandelier in the living room came from the thrift store.
16. The barn door on the mantel came from the junk store.
17. I got the chair on the right from our church when they were about to throw it away.
18. The chair on the left came from a yard sale for $10.
19. We made the tray with the handles on the ottoman.
20. The light fixture came from a yard sale for $10. It had a weird clock thing in the middle that I removed.
21. The large piece of furniture on the right came from a junk store. It had this weird mirror thing in the front that we took out and added ship lap to.
Now it has a basket on it that holds paper towels and I store all the gift wrap supplies and extra blankets in the bottom.
22. The armoire that’s striped came from a yard sale for $5.00.
23. The dishes all over the room came from yard sales.
24. The table between the chairs was $2.00 at an auction.
25. The sign over the fireplace came from a junk store.
The decorating lesson in all of this?
The take away on this beautiful, sunshiny, full of joy Monday morning?
The side of the road and junk stores and thrift stores and yard sales….
….they’re where it’s at. 🙂
PS Happy Spring. 🙂