Once upon a time there was a porch.
(Don’t you love a story that starts like that?)
Except this porch was a scary story. I would tell everyone to go in the front door…just so they’d miss the porch. It was peeling and flaking and in terrible condition.
It took “distressed” to a completely new level.
Now it’s all about itself. It’s waving people in from the driveway and throwing tail-gate parties…..
….and showing off its transformation at porch fashion week (can you tell I’ve been watching Project Runway)?
And here’s the DIY for the painted porch project.
Step 1: Sand and paint existing deck
I’ve spared you the before pictures.
You can thank me later.
There was a lot of loose paint and grit and grime on the existing porch.
Using a sander and then a deck cleaner, we made sure the surface was clean before we added the base coat of transparent deck stain.
Step 2: Measure the squares
You can make the squares as large or as small as you like depending on your design aesthetic.
Each of these squares measures 17″ across.
Measure and mark off the squares with a yard stick or tape measure.
We marked the outline of the squares with pencil.
Step 3: Tape off squares
This is a step with one important component.
Using FrogTape®, tape the squares you don’t want to paint on the inside of your pencil lines and the squares you want to paint on the outside of your pencil lines.
It might take a few mistakes to get the hang of it (not that we would know anything about that)….but just double-check your taping as you go along.
Step 4: Score tape and paint
Make sure all of your tape is adhered properly before you paint.
I usually take a flat object (like a library card) and run it along the edges of the tape to make sure there aren’t any gaps or tape that’s lifted.
Then simply paint every other square with a contrasting stain.
We used a lighter deck stain for more of a farmhouse look, but you could choose a darker stain or even a contrasting color.
We chose to use transparent deck stain so the wood grain would show through.
Let base coat dry thoroughly.
Here’s another picture of the completed deck.
I love how the project turned out.
It’s gone from horror show to featured movie of the week.
It goes perfectly with sweet tea and a new attitude…..
….and a beautiful happily ever after. 🙂
disclosure: I received compensation to complete this project for using FrogTape® products.
All opinions, projects and ideas are based on my own experience. Please see my disclosure policy for additional information.